There are 8 quality management principles (developed by the ISO/TC 176) upon which ISO 9001 certification is built. These principles, when followed properly, help organisations to improve their quality management systems and overall business relationships.
Let’s take a closer look at the 8 principles of quality management:
- Customer Focus - This principle covers customer needs and customer services. It stresses that businesses should strive to understand their customers & go above and beyond their expectations.
- Leadership - Leadership is an integral part of any business. Without properly-defined leadership goals and objectives, a business will struggle to run smoothly.
- People Involvement - The third principle focuses on efficiency and effectiveness of staff. You can build stakeholder confidence by optimising performance, managing processes and using business resources wisely.
- Process Approach - This principle is about efficiency, effectiveness and consistency. Having a good approach to your processes helps to speed up activities, reduce costs and eliminate waste.
- Systematic Approach to Management - ISO defines this principle as “identifying, understanding and managing interrelated processes as a system contributes to the organisation’s effectiveness and efficiency in achieving its objectives”.
- Continual Improvement - This has to be be an active business objective; businesses should embrace new opportunities and adapt to new market situations.
- Factual Approach to Decision Making - Making a decision based on data and analysis is logical, but in the current climate, most workplace decisions are made in a rush. This principle helps to make sure decisions are made with consideration and clarity.
- Mutually-Benefical Supplier Relations - The final principle deals with supply chains and promotes healthy relationships between a business and its distributors. Building a strong supplier relationship encourages productivity.
If you're interested in gaining ISO 9001 certification for your organisation, ISO Accelerator can help you to do it quickly and with minimal hassle. Get in touch today to find out more.
Get Certified >>
Image courtesy of Pixabay.com